April 12, 2007

The Farming Life...

Well, it's official... we're farming for ourselves. My husband has always worked in farming, and we've finally taken the plunge to be on our own. The farmer that he works for now (and will continue to work for for the next few months) is ready to retire, and has been great in helping us get started. This year we will be growing carrots for seed.

Were you ever curious about how carrots were planted? Well, let me show you a little bit of that world.

First, a load of carrots - yes, whole carrots - are loaded into the planter. They go over the whole field and plant the male carrots first. Then they go back and plant the females. I'm still not sure if you can tell by looking if it is a male or female carrot... :)




Four workers sit and drop carrots into a spinning carousel.









Oh, did I mention that the planter, the dumper and the roller were all made by my husband? Pretty cool.



The last photo is of the carrots being rolled over to make sure they are firmly in the ground. Now, if the deer will just stay away.....


Oh, and this makes me a bookkeeper... Yikes...






3 comments:

Jen Carter said...

So, this is a really dumb question but, you plant the carrot and get what? Do you get another carrot or how does that work? Sorry, but I'm from wheat country here and I don't know anything about carrots!

Peg said...

What we're aiming for is carrot seed!! :) If you plant BY seed you have to plant in the fall. If you want to harvest seed that year, you plant actual carrots in the spring!
Farm on, baby! I'm soundin' like a real farmers wife!

Sarah said...

Well I never knew that! I planted some carrots yesterday too (in a bucket in my garden, not quite on the same scale... oh and i'm aiming for carrots!) Good luck with the farming!